I have been wanting to make the switch to clean, DIY, no harsh chemical type soaps and cleaners around the house for awhile now and I'm proud to say I've done it and I LOVE it! It is so fulfilling to make something that is so useful, actually works and is safe for my family, not to mention cost effective! This laundry soap recipe is effective, smells amazing and yes it actually cleans your clothes! I love that it doesn't have borax, that has always been my hesitation with making a lot of the DIY recipes out there so I've been super excited about this one! You can also grate a bar of Fels Naptha into the mixture and that will make it a little thicker too if you prefer that. Here's the recipe I used, now when I do my laundry it smells like a spa in my home that isn't filled with fake, hormone disrupting chemicals so I can feel great about using it which is so rewarding!
DIY Liquid Laundry Soap Recipe
1/2 Cup Super Washing Soda
1/2 Cup Baking Soda
20-30 Drops Essential Oils of your choice - I use Serenity, Citrus Bliss, Balance and White Fir. Mine are all Doterra and this combo smells like the Capri Blue Volcano scent, aka Anthropologie smell!
You will need a 2 gallon bucket, I bought a new clean one and just store everything inside of it so it all stays clean and together for easy mixing!
These are the jars I got, you will need two. I love that they're glass so the oils don't go bad in there, they are a great size so you can give the soap a little shake before using and they're just simple and clean looking. I also love that I bought it all on Amazon, it doesn't get any easier than that!
1. Pour 1/2 cup Super Washing Soda into the 5 gallon bucket and add just enough hot tap water to cover the soda. Stir until dissolved.
2. Add in 1/2 cup Baking Soda to the mixture, stir until dissolved.
3. Fill up the bucket almost all the way to the top leaving about 1 inch. Make sure you do this before adding the soap or you'll have a big bubbly mess!
4. Pour in 3/4 cup Dr Bronner's Castille Soap and mix well. Like I said, I love the lavender scent but you can get unscented or they also have peppermint and citrus and things like that too!
5. Add essential oils. I did about 10 Serenity, 8 Citrus Bliss, 6 Balance and 4 White Fir. Use whatever you love, this is the fun part!
6. Pour laundry soap into the jars. I just use my measuring spoon then when it gets lower I pour the rest in.
You will use 1/3 Cup per load for standard size loads.
*This laundry soap separates a little when sitting so just shake it before you scoop into your washer.
Also the smell is not overpowering like you're used to with detergent, just because it smells good doesn't mean it is clean. Clean laundry smells crisp and fresh but not like perfume. Let me know if you make it and how you like it! I am so excited with how it has worked for us!