I've always been a big believer in the benefits of water for my body and skin. The last few years I have tried to figure out new ways to flavor water naturally + add extra health benefits. Because let's be real... water can get a little boring just plain all the time! The most simple way is adding fruit. I love all kinds of fruit although I do tend to stick to citrus in my water. Oranges and lemons are my favorite because they taste so fresh. When I feel like my mouth or my teeth enamel need a break from the citrus I love to do cucumber water. When I infuse my water I prefer to use a glass bottle or jar over plastic and drink through a straw as well. One of my goals this year after we finish our kitchen remodel is switch all of our tupperware to glass too, so if you have any brands you love that are glass send them my way! Anyways, back to water. I do love the taste of Dr Pepper, I can't lie... but it is so bad for us. Aside from the obvious reasons soda isn't a good option, the caffeine makes my anxiety worse. So if I'm really craving one we will order one to share when we are out to dinner and both get waters as well! Then I don't feel the need to binge and don't get the nasty effects.
Lemon water especially has so many great health benefits, I just wanted to share a couple of my favorites for me personally!
- Helps give the body a boost of Vitamin C. This is why I choose to slice fresh fruit over using essential oils to flavor, they don't have the nutritional value.
- Aids in digestion + cleanses your system
- High in antioxidants so it helps keep your skin radiant + blemish free + help with aging
- Natural boost of energy
Pop in chia seeds and get these benefits as well! Don't be too weirded out with the "floaters" in our water, they were funky at first and I now crave the texture!
- High fiber content, protein, calcium, magnesium + low calorie count
- Full of antioxidants, who doesn't love an extra boost of those!
- High in Omega-3 fatty acids
- Proven to help improve heart and bone health
- Great for digestive health and keep you regular, if you know what I mean!
It's my favorite to make a big glass of lemon chia seed water after lunch after I get Hudson down for his nap. I love the little pick me up it adds and how refreshing it tastes! If you aren't already utilizing the amazing benefits of chia seeds in your life here is an easy way to do so!
Lemon Chia Seed Water
- 1/2 fresh lemon sliced thin
- 1 Tablespoon organic chia seeds (start with less if you haven't been using them frequently and work up so the high fiber content doesn't bother you)
- fill a large glass bottle with ice cold water
- let sit for about 30 minutes to let the chia seeds sprout
- drink with a straw. It is more gentle on the enamel of our teeth
Carl came home from the grocery store the other night and was so proud he remembered to get me lemons because I was almost out. He said, "Lemons weren't on the list but you're down to a half a lemon! I got you some!" He's the cutest, I really was so grateful because come nap time in two days I would have been real bummed!