Yep you read that right, I make the same three staple foods every week! I've been making these three for months, the quiona one for years and it saves me SO much time! I love keeping things simple, healthy and knowing I have my "go-to" options in a pinch.
First up, the most amazing quiona black bean bowl:
-2 cups cooked quiona
- 2 15oz cans of black beans
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion diced
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinigar
- 1 diced jalapeno pepper, I remove seeds for a more mild taste
- 1/4 cilantro chopped finely
- salt and pepper to taste
I mix all of this together well and store in an airtight glass lock container, it keeps its flavor well and is so yummy just warmed up as needed! I like to switch up my mix-ins depending on the time of day or whatever sounds good! There is always 1/4 of an avocado cut up in there plus usually some kind of meat or scrambled egg. I'll add tomatos, put it over a bed of spinach or sprinkled on tacos! I eat some version of this for 1-2 meals a day and truly don't get sick of it! It is so versatile, already pre made so I can eat something filling and heathy without taking all day to prep.
My next go to is crockpot salsa chicken, SO easy! This is a no brainer meal, you just have to remember to put it on in the morning so its nice a tender for dinner.
- 4 large boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup organic salsa of choice
- salt, pepper and garlic powder sprinkled lightly over the top
- 1 cup water at the bottom to keep things moist
- cook on high for 6 hours for frozen chicken, 4 hours on high for fresh
We do street tacos, rice/quinoa bowls, on top of salads, mix in quesadillas, in scrambled eggs or just warmed with yummy chips and salsa throughout the week! The boys love it and you can switch up flavors depending on the salsa you use!
Last but not least, my favorite banana zucchini oat muffins! These are loaded with nutrients and are filling and it's the perfect way to sneak in greens and proteins for kids, no added crap and never gets old!
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons mixed in a bowl and set aside to gel for the "egg"
- 2 small to medium ripe bananas mashed in a large mixing bowl
- 2 cups packed grated zucchini, don't drain the water this works as your "oil"
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/8 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 almond butter
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I love the Aloha brand, clean and whey free)
- 1 tablespoon baking soda, I prefer aluminum free
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups gluten free quick oats (rolled works as well, I would pulse them in a blender for a more smooth texture not so chunky)
- optional* sprinkle mini semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips or nuts of your choice!
Grease a muffin tin and bake at 375* for 24 minutes, makes about 21 muffins filled to top. You can use muffin liners but I prefer without because they get a more toasted edge that is so yummy!!
By having these three things on hand, grocery shopping is predictable, everyone stays happy and fed with ingredients that are easy to throw together and keeps us from turning to hot dogs/chicken nuggets or fast food too much! Let me know if you try any and what you think!